Summary: To provide secretarial, office and administrative support for Killarney Park Mennonite Brethren Church and hospitality to callers/guests.
Reports to: Pastor
Position Type: Part-time, 20 hours/week. Monday – Thursday, 9 am – 2 pm
Duties and Tasks:
- Secretarial – 60%
- Receive incoming calls to the ministry office in a genuine, friendly and courteous manner and provide helpful information as appropriate. Take messages or re-direct calls as requested.
- Welcome guests and visitors that come to the ministry office in a friendly, outgoing and helpful manner.
- Compose routine correspondence from general oral instructions.
- Pick up mail and sort incoming mail; prepare outgoing mail.
- Generate appropriately-designed documents transcribed from written instructions or minutes taken at meetings.
- Proofread drafts of correspondence and documents before they are distributed to check and correct spelling, grammar, clarity and design.
- Prepare, photocopy, compile and distribute materials needed for church services, business meetings, board meetings, retreats and other events, as required.
- Update and maintain a working filing system for ministry and church records.
- Order departmental office and building maintenance supplies, as necessary.
- Maintain a log book ofmeeting dates, use of premises by ministry participants and/or others, and ensure that no conflicts arise regarding scheduling of events.
- Communicate via e-mail or in person regarding shared duties and incomplete tasks that are time-sensitive.
- Accommodate any other tasks assigned by staff to support their work as requested.
- Administrative Duties – 40%
- Maintain the printed directory of the congregation and update and re-print periodically.
- Maintain and update the database software for people and events.
- Install the program-specific software upgrades as they are received or download them to install. Produce reports from the program specific data as requested.
- Maintain correct e-mail address listing for ministry participants and volunteers. Keep a running list of e-mail and contact changes and distribute to all the appropriate staff to update their own lists.
- Maintain the printed directory of ministry participants, update and re-print periodically for staff.
- Check the ministry-specific e-mail periodically throughout the day and forward as needed to the appropriate staff member.
- Compose e-mails to ministry participants from general oral instructions.
- Prepare promotional materials, information materials, and education and media materials as appropriate to continue to improve the communication from the ministry department to the participants, other staff, and the church.
- Report to and liaise with Properties Committee regarding maintenance of premises.
- Coordinate with Properties Committee and facilitate the use and/or rental of church facilities including documentation, building supervision, rent collection, etc.
- Prepare and submit annual reports to Canadian Conference and MB Herald offices.
- Communicate with Prayer Chain and Caregiving Coordinator prayer and/or visitation requests/needs.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities and Commitment
- Skill in reading documents written in standard English text
- Skill in writing grammatically correct routine business correspondence
- Skill in editing correspondence for correct grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Skill in speaking clearly and distinctly using appropriate vocabulary in a helpful and friendly manner.
- Skill in processing information on the database software and publishing software
- Skill in establishing and maintaining a filing system
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Education or courses in office skills and computer technologies
- Display sensitivity and understanding in all communication, being highly relational
- Ability to exercise judgment to solve operational problems where the answer is not apparent
- Skills in setting priorities which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all staff members, associate staff, church staff and volunteers
- Commitment to the Mennonite Brethren Statement of Faith and the lifestyle ethics as described in the Personnel Policy Manual
- Good understanding of pastoral ministry
- Display the spiritual gifts of servanthood, administration, shepherding, and helping