Bookkeeper/Financial Controller – M2W2
M2/W2 Association is a Christian-based, not-for-profit agency based in Abbotsford, British Columbia, that mentors inmates from correctional institutions and intentionally empowers them to be successful in their reintegration back to society. We empower volunteers to reflect God’s restorative and inclusive love within the criminal justice system and wider society to foster healthier communities. M2/W2 has programs in the following areas:
1) Prison Mentorship: 1 on 1 prison mentoring, mainly run by volunteers across 12 institutions primarily in the Fraser Valley. We have a volunteer base of approximately 200 volunteers.
2) NOLA (No One Leave Alone): a reintegration program designed to help provide crucial relational support for newly released ex-inmates as they re-enter our communities. NOLA was launched in April 2018 and is partially funded by Public Safety Canada
3) Thrift Stores: We have two thrift stores in Abbotsford and Chilliwack (named “Hidden Treasures”) that provide income for the organization and also have inmates working on site which provides them opportunities to interact with society in healthy ways.
The individual will report to the Executive Director, M2/W2 Board and Finance Committee.
• keep all accounts accurate and assign all income and expenditures to the appropriate accounts
• keep a running record of income and expenses for all government contracts
• work closely with office staff and managers of our thrifts store on all financial matters
• pay all regular bills via cheques written on QuickBooks Pro and prepare monthly payroll through Payworks
• keep accurate records of CPP, EI and income tax, and pay Receiver General
• check and examine all expenditures by staff and organization for accuracy and apply for GST rebates
• prepare and submit all tax and financial statements for staff and government, and compile financial information required for audits
• help develop and prepare our annual budget, submit year-end financial data and be prepared to explain financial statements as required
A Successful Candidate has:
• an accounting background, bookkeeper diploma and/or sufficient financial experience to ensure the organization has complete and accurate financial records
• the ability to monitor, critique, and advise all financial aspects of the organization so that the Executive Director, Finance Committee and Board are well informed of trends and concerns
• great inter-personal skills to develop and maintain excellent working relationship the staff, Board and public
• Ideally 3 days a week with a start date between March 15-April 1st, 2020.
• Willing to do other tasks assigned by the Executive Director and Finance Committee within the guidelines of the organization.