Pastor/Director of Discipleship
Are you passionate about equipping people to become whole life followers of Jesus? Do you have a heart for teaching and equipping believers to live like Jesus? Are you passionate about creating community and multiplying leaders to care for others? Has God called you to serve people by leading them into a vital, growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a love for God’s work in the world?
Main Street Church is a growing multi-generational church with a weekly attendance of approximately 1200. We are located in Chilliwack British Columbia roughly 90 minutes East of Vancouver. We are seeking a full time energetic, creative, and passionate individual who will continue to bring leadership to our disciple making ministries.
As a member of the Main Street Pastoral Team, you will advance our mission by educating and equipping Christ followers to become disciple making disciples. This role includes providing support and training for our Life Groups and Life Group leaders, Front door and assimilation ministries and giving support to other ministries ensuring they are making disciples.
We seek a candidate to provide dynamic leadership and vision. This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary and benefits package. Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also access information regarding this role by visiting www.mainstreetchurch.ca and click the “We’re Hiring” link.
JOB TITLE AND FOCUS:
Pastor/Director of Discipleship The Pastor of Discipleship will advance the mission of Main Street Church by educating and equipping members as they become disciple-making disciples.
The Discipleship Pastor is responsible for equipping God’s people to do his work and empower members to be active as possible in the work of the church community. This position will also lead and oversee all key discipleship initiatives of the church, including small groups, and engage in activities that help members grow and mature in their faith. The Discipleship Pastor will also be responsible for all guest services, and other activities that ensure all people have a great first impression of Main Street Church.
- Primary Responsibilities
- LIFE GROUPS: Provide direction, coaching, leadership development, and curriculum to our Life Group Leaders and ministry by demonstrating leadership that teaches the value of relationships, developing strategies that raise and release Life Group Leaders, and deploying a comprehensive plan for building a community that values multiplication and disciple-making.
- ASSIMILATION: Develop and lead our church in a strategy to help guests feel welcomed, take next steps, get connected in Bible Study groups, and engaged in service.
- Oversee welcome team, guest follow up, Ushers, etc.
- Ensure that current Bible Study information is available in print and online.
- Help people discover their spiritual gifting and a place to serve.
- EQUIPPING: Ensure that every member is well trained to serve the church, share the gospel, and disciple others.
- Regularly assess the current needs of the body and provide training accordingly.
- Develop classes and training to better equip our church to make disciples.
- Continually build the ministry with qualified leaders so that more responsibilities are shared by capable people and strong relationships of spiritual growth are fostered.
- GENERAL PASTORAL DUTIES: There are several pastoral duties associated with this role:
- Weddings/funerals, Provide Biblical counseling, attend staff meetings and worship services, oversee the budget for the discipleship ministry of the church, perform other duties as assigned.
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT:
- Spiritual and Skill Development – Dedicate time for development through books, courses, materials, retreats, or other development approved by your direct report.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- • A clear testimony of salvation by grace though faith in Jesus Christ.
- • Fulfills the character qualifications of an elder described in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1.
- • Growing relationship with Jesus Christ evidenced by action, attitude, and behavior.
- • Possess strong belief in and extensive knowledge of God’s word. Demonstrates application of God’s word in daily living and in counseling of others.
- • Realize and utilize individual spiritual gifts. (Romans 12:3‐8; 1 Corinthians 12)
- • Organizational and administrative abilities to lead multiple areas of ministry and coordinate many volunteers.
- • Strong giftedness and confidence in both oral and written communication.
- • Proven skills in Small Group ministry contexts, specifically in the areas of group leadership and leader training.
- • Strong ability to work with people of various temperaments, gifts, passions, and church backgrounds.
- • Detail Oriented. Strong administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Ensures that all tasks are done correctly, thoroughly, and with precision.
- • Possesses strong technology skills and the ability to learn and work with multiple platforms while considering new digital solutions for ongoing improvement.
- • Biblical and theological education.
- • Humble, vulnerable, teachable, and team oriented.
- • Takes initiative and innovates.
- • Servant-hearted leadership that celebrates the advancement of others in leadership.
- • Affirms without hesitation Main Street Church’s Confession of Faith and adheres to Main Street Church’s Bylaws and other guiding documents.
Weekly Hours: 40