#5: Be Okay With Uncomfortable: Ministering to the Ageing & Dying ft. Thaleia Sawatzky & Kendra Gerbrandt
Ministering to the ageing and dying in your church is good and important work.
Yes, we have sermons to prepare and people to lead, but we cannot forget those members of our congregations who are suffering or walking through difficult new seasons in their lives.
How can the “Church” care for those in need? Does it always need to be the pastor? And, how does it look different in big vs. small churches?
On today’s episode, we’re joined once again by Northview Community Church’s Pastor of Care, Thaleia Sawatzky, and Ministry Intern, Kendra Gerbrandt. Kendra brings a unique perspective to this topic as a registered nurse specializing in tertiary palliative care. Her insights into prayer for non-believers and their families and the amazing lessons we can learn from the ageing and dying will encourage and equip you for this important work.
Together, we’ll explore:
- How to be okay with being uncomfortable
- The hidden grief of transitions
- How to do a hospital or care home visit – what to do and what not to do, what to say, and questions you can ask
- How to minister to people whose loved ones have dementia
- And more
We pray that this episode will help you do your ministry more effectively, courageously, humbly, and more dependent on His Spirit.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering – Tim Keller
- When Your Family’s Lost a Loved One – David & Nancy Guthrie
- Suffering and the Goodness of God – Edited by Christopher W. Morgan & Robert A. Peterson
- GriefShare seminars and support groups